Saturday, February 25, 2012

New York Times Tidbit

For my ISS 320, we have to read the newspaper every day.  Mainly related to the Middle East, but of course I browse the other headlines when one caught my eye: Tribes, in Tax Fight, Make Their Own Cigarettes.  

The article is about how the Oneida tribe of New York (One of 8 federally recognized tribes in NY) have started their own cigarette company to bring in some money.  Some people complain that it is a way to avoid getting taxes, but I think the whole thing is sort of ironic.

Native Americans are known for the highest tobacco, alcohol, chronic disease, obesity, etc rates.  Is it a good idea to establish a cigarette business just to bring in more money?  I guess if there's no other way... I just don't know how I feel about it.  It's not about the money.  From a health perspective, if as a nation, Native Americans want to improve their health standing, selling cigarettes isn't exactly the way to go.  I mean, it's not like they can go and manufacturer exercise equipment (Which would be pretty cool actually), but.. I still think this is a questionable quandary.  

What do you think? Sound off.

No comments:

Post a Comment